Tuesday, March 31, 2009

It's Finally Spring!!

And thank goodness...any more frosty weather and I think I would have moved to Mexico. I can't believe how long it has been since I updated my blog, but perhaps once you read this you will understand why. As soon as I returned from my September retreat to Nelson (where I took the spa management course), I was faced with a dilemma: Lakeshore Vein and Skincare clinic asked me to join their team. Of course at first I thought "No...how could I walk away from the business that I had built from the ground up? What would my clients think?" But then the Christmas season hit, and with that came extra long days, evenings of prep, not to mention getting ready to spend the season with my new in-laws! Suddenly the idea of working for someone else who would take care of all the books, phone calls, inventory, marketing, shopping, etc. was looking pretty good. What would it be like to work a 9 to 5 day? What would I do with all my extra time? Just as this dilemma was reaching it's climax (translation: they needed a decision), my mother died. In Ontario. Without a will. Now, before I go on, I must pause here to say that if you do not have a will or living trust in place, set it up now! Don't wait! It is so simple to do; you can download a template from the web and get it notarized. It will save your loved ones so much stress. Do it now. So anyway..... here I am at the height of my busiest season, needing to make a decision as to whether or not I want to work for the clinic and close the spa, and suddenly I need to deal with my mom's unorganized estate. There is absolutely no way I can fly home; it would compound my work to an unsurmountable level. So I deal. I get up at 5am so that I am able to call my mother's banks and creditors in Ontario for 6am (9am their time). Then I go to the spa from 8am to 8pm, get home, answer emails, website queries, and do the spa laundry. Go to bed, and do it all over again. And again. For weeks. Let me say this once more for those who didn't take me seriously...have an up-to-date will in place!! Finally, during the first week of Februay, I have an epiphany. I realize that no matter how much work it takes to run Namaste Day Spa, it is my dream come true. It fulfills me in ways that working for someone else never could. Don't get me wrong; a fabulous schedule, guarunteed salary and benefits are certainly nothing to scoff at; and I would like to take this opportunity to publicy thank Drs. Wong and Bently for their fantastic offer. But suddenly on that Febuary morning, I knew that it wasn't right for me. But how do you tell someone after nearly six months of planning and meetings that it "just doesn't feel right"? And as if on cue, the universe intervened. That very morning I opened my email to find a message from the clinic. They sensed my apprehension, and also felt that maybe this wasn't the best move for me. Whew! Two weeks later, my brother came out from Ontario for a 10 day visit. We hadn't seen each other in 5 years! Since our mother died we both really felt the need to reconnect. The visit was awesome; we drove out to Nakusp and stayed at the hot springs. Then we drove on to Nelson and spent a few days out there. We went tubing at Silverstar, watched hours of "Trailer Park Boys", and just hung out. It was great. I want him to move out here so badly! But alas a cross-country move is not for everyone. But I can always hope :) So here we are , April 1st. And a new bundle of stress has been laid in my lap. The lady who I sublease from (who owns the store downstairs), gave me 2 months' notice. Gulp. Apparently she wants my studio space to be her new design office. So here I am , 8 weeks and counting, searching desprately for new retail space. Then last night, my partner and I decide that we would be crazy not to take advantage of the price drop in real estate. Could we not find a house that has a carriage home that I could turn into the spa? There has to be! So off we go to look at houses. Five to be exact. All fantastic options, but one that we HAD to have. So we made an offer at 10pm last night. Stay tuned for more adventures of the Sleepless Spa girl. P.S. Anyone want to buy a condo?

3 comments:

Robert Cass said...

Hi Stranger,(Kim)
Nice to get an update on what happened. I found this thru a link doing a search on our own website. I hope all is well now and you are working a getting your new business up and running. Drop me a line when you can.
Rob Cass (spaformation)

googleexpert said...

such synchronicity. she wants it all, fierce honesty, blossoming wonders. thank you. we are in this together. you inspire the real in this woman.
spa Kelowna

pjanderson153 said...

Kelowna Photographer
Hotel In Kelowna